October 31, 2010 - Well it has been raining and we are approaching that time of the year. I decided it was time
to rearrange the garage and bring everything inside to protect it and make it easier to work on. Once that was done
I installed the engine, transmission, fuel pump, starter, clutch linkage, and lower inspection covers on the bell housing.
Now we are talkin'...it is looking really good.
December 3, 2010 - Today, I dropped off some additional sheet metal replacement
parts at the body shop. While
there I figured it would be good to get some progress photos. Paint is being stripped off and new parts will be
welded in place. I will not meet my original deadline of Christmas, but hopefully soon after we can start the painting
December 11, 2010 - More progresses as the rusted panels are being replaced.
The new steel panels are very nice
and the metal is the same gage. The guys make it look like a simple process and it is coming out really good. This
shows the driver and passenger quarters with a new surface.
December 24, 2010 - More progresses at the body shop. I delivered the
rolling chassis to the body shop to give them
something to measure for the custom body work. As you can see in the photos, the body is on the rotisserie and coming
along nicely. The rear trunk area is about done and the outer fender sections are looking good. Now to replace some
braces and then on to the widening of the wheel wells.
January 25, 2011 - Additional progresses at the body shop. More rust abatement and sandblasting. It is looking a
bit better as we go. The doors, front fenders, hood and trunk lid have also been blasted and ready for a coat of
primer. The firewall is looking very nice and ready for some primer as well.
January 30, 2011 - This weekend was tinkering with the inner front fenders.
Remember the first photo from earlier
when I was dismantling the car. The inner fenders looked like they were in bad looking condition. After sandblasting
and powder coating, they look much better. I worked on them this weekend to attach all of the anti-squeak gaskets
with weather-strip adhesive. Now when it is set up solid in a few days, I will drill from the rear side through the
original staple holes and replace the staples. This prep work will save time for later during final assembly.
February 4, 2011 - I received some update photos from the body shop today. He is cutting out more rust spots and
replacing them with sheet metal as you can see in the photos.
February 21, 2011 - I got a few more photos today. Slowly, but surely...still welding in pieces.
27, 2011 - Today I finished the anti-squeak gaskets and rubber pieces on the
fender wells. Everything
is now glued with 3M weather strip adhesive and wire staples as were used in 1955.
26, 2011 - There have been a few setbacks on the project, but now it is rolling
along again. The welding
of the replacement sheet metal on the underside is complete and Corroseal has been applied to encapsulate the
surface rust and create primer. The mini-tub is well underway and close to completion. It is now getting closer
to primer stage.
June 6, 2011 -
The project is moving at a good pace now. The above photos are showing the
the body. The sheet metal work is complete for this portion. The photos show braces we have replaced with
smooth work and no visible welds. Photo 4 is one of the mini-tubs and it shows no modifications either.
August 31, 2011 - Today I
received these photos from the body shop. The main body has been primed
epoxy primer on the outside. The inside will be primed with urethane primer. There is still a lot to be done
before paint as the trunk area needs final touches and sanding of the mini-tub work. The front fenders still
need sheet metal work and brackets. It is taking shape and the workmanship is nice.
27, 2011 - Today I received these photos from the body shop. The Regal Turquoise
made to factory specifications is looking great. This is the firewall and dashboard. Now that this is
painted, we can mount the body on the newly refurbished chassis. Then to finish the final touches on the
body and final sanding and we will be ready for the entire paint job.
3, 2011 - This evening was a treat. I went to the body shop and we cut the
hole in the floor
for the Hurst shifter and then we set the body on the new rubber mounts on the frame. It's beginning
to look more like a car all the time.
Return To Ko-Be-Ko Home Page